Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Spring is in the Air!

"Where flowers bloom so does hope."
– Lady Bird Johnson


You can feel it can’t you? It’s that time of year when we all get a little restless and unsettled. Spring is coming and it makes us all feel a little peppier, a little friendlier and a lot more energetic.

Around my house we can see the grass in parts of the front yard and it makes me dream of flowers and getting my hands in the soil.

If you’re a gardener it’s time to start thinking about starting seeds. It’s already time for peppers and it will soon be time for other vegetables and flowers.

Last year I had great success with a messy wildflower mix and I loved being surprised each day by what was new in the garden. I’m going to try it again this year as well as a few others.

    I’m going to start:

  • Peppers – red and yellow
  • Sweet onions
  • English cucumbers 
  • Sweet peas
  • Morning glories
  • Echinacea (a couple of varieties)

I have my heart set on having ranunculus this year and I’m going to order them along with some hydrangeas and lavender. I’d like to have some climbing roses although I haven’t figured out where to put them yet. I also got a bug in my ear from one of my seed catalogues and I’m going to try to grow tea. I’m particularly excited about that!

And of course I can’t forget about my beloved pansies....it’s almost pansy time! I know spring is truly here when I see all the pansy flats and planters at the grocery stores. I can’t wait! J


No comments:

Post a Comment